Monday, October 03, 2011

Hello Android. I will not let you beat me.

I have been a long time fan of the Iphone. I lined up for it when it first came to Canada (then reluctantly had to sell it when I moved to the US). I lined up for the newer version (3GS) after a year of living in the states. I encouraged my good friend Rose to get an iphone (she never looked back) and have long been an advocate of it's utility and general all around "amazing-ness".

Then, like all relationships, the love started to fade. I started to notice that the iphone wasn't delivering on certain things. It was slowing down. It wasn't as shiny and new as it had once seemed. And everyone on the planet seemed to have one.

I wanted something new. I started the research and asked around and it seemed like an Android was the way to go -but what manufacturer and what provider?

Long (really boring) story short- I bought a Samsung Galaxy S2 yesterday- it was just released in the US market (*yesterday- I'm nothing if not an early adopter of phone technology). I love it because the screen quality and color are amazing. I love it because it's shiny and new. I hate it because I don't know how to use it.

I'm sure if I was a 12 year old girl I'd have no problem. I'd just intuitively skim through the dozens of applications and master all of the functionality. But I'm not a 12 year old girl and all of this new gadgetry is confusing and overwhelming (yes I'm 87). Can someone please just set up my music and sync it and organize the contacts with google and facebook and then get the right game app and generally take care of it for me? please?

Sigh- but I can't do that. So I shall persevere. I won't let this phone beat me. It's only been a day- give me one week and I'll be an android GS2 (that's what they call it) expert.

No comments: