Sunday, June 12, 2011

Thank you kind sir

One of the things that has struck me over the last 6 weeks is how kind people can be. Opening doors, asking how I am (perfect strangers expressing concern) and the like. A perfect example is what occurred last week.

It was Thursday morning and the temperature was about 534C - a bazillion degrees roughly. I stood on the street in the middle- in an open area so there were no cars or delivery trucks blocking my way. I waited for about 15 minutes and there were no cabs anywhere. Everyone was avoiding the hot as hell subway and splurging for a cab (I'm not joking- it was HOT).

There were a few people in front of me and they got some cabs. And that's fair- they were there at the same time or before me. I'm on crutches- not pregnant or 90- and I didn't mind waiting.

However after 15 minutes I was the last one standing and thinking the next cab was mine. A guy in a business suit steps up on the corner in front of me. He was older (50?) and overweight and probably sweltering in his cheap looking suit. I didn't care- he wasn't going to take my cab. I started to walk towards him to tell him to back off... and then suddenly a cab driving by just stopped.

The door swung open and a guy popped his head out. He looked at me and said "I think you need this cab more than I do. Why don't you take it?" And he paid his fare- and hopped out- waiting to close the door behind me.

SO KIND.

No comments: