Thursday, June 25, 2009

He will be missed


"Thriller" – his second solo effort as an adult – was released in November 1982 and spent a record 37 weeks at No. 1, producing an unparalleled seven Top 10 singles.

My Mom and I were talking tonight- I called her to tell her that Michael Jackson died. I was on the phone with my brother when I read about it. A tweet from my friend Edlynne- that I didn't initially believe. Because I didn't want to believe. My Mom said (and it's been repeated often in the media in the last few hours) - "It's just like when Elvis died."

It's true- he's gone. And it's sad.

Yes he was a musical genius. (First and foremost). Yes he was eccentric (no denying). Yes he had a tragic history. But he was a part of my history.

I remember "Thriller". I remember "Bad". I remember "Beat It". I remember "Billie Jean" - so many songs that broke the mold with such brilliant talent.

I was looking forward to his comeback. But instead I will enjoy his legacy of music and I will wait to see what will become of his other legacy- his children.
And I will mourn with the rest of the world. And he will become another figure in history- alongside John Lennon, Elvis Presley and Princess Diana.
And I will remember being a pre-teen and dancing to "Man in the Mirror" and loving every freakin' single second.

No comments: