Saturday, May 30, 2009

Old places and new faces

Ok I really just wrote that title to go with the previous post. It was an old place (Rome) but the faces weren't new. It was me and my friend Jen who is a friend from Toronto (so not new).
Regardless- I haven't posted about my trip to Rome. Mostly because I didn't have any pictures due to the fact that my camera was stolen. Then I thought I'd be clever and draw some crude pictures of the coliseum and St. Peter's Basilica but it turns out I don't have a drawing program on my computer (odd for a MAC). So... I have now stolen pictures from Jen's album and am posting. What's missing is my first day where I did the most touristy things- like visit :
- Roman Forum (loved- was the last one out- they had to kick me out)
- Palentino
- Piazza Venetia (loved- such great views. I got a GREAT photo of this giant horse statue...)
- Pantheon
- St. Peter's Basilica (I actually took some video of the inside because I didn't feel as though the pictures were truly capturing it's magnificence.)

yup. pictures and video.
ok you know what? Just writing about it makes me sad. I know that I'm lucky nothing happened to me. And I'm lucky to have been in Rome in the first place. And yes I've traveled a decent amount with nothing happening to me (knock on wood etc). And I was just too relaxed so that's what happens- your bag gets stolen. But that doesn't mean it still doesn't suck. And everyday I miss something that was taken.
But onwards we go. And here are some pictures of Rome from day 2 and 3 after I met up with Jen. You'll just have to imagine the first day and a half...
**********
One thing I love about Rome is that the aqueducts that were built 2000 years ago are still going strong and all throughout the city there are water fountains with fresh mineral water from the earth bubbling up. It was cold and delicious.


This is Trevi Fountain which is a result of the natural pressure from the aqueducts- and not an artificial mechanization the way that fountains are in north america. For all of the fountains in Rome (and there are hundreds) there is no 'turning them off'.

Here we are having wine and pizza at a cafe by the fountain. The weather was amazing while we were there- 30C and dry.


Inside of the Pantheon. Originally a pagan temple. The only source of light is the hole at the centre. The floor is concave. The walls are metres thick. It was very cool.


This is the outside/front of the Pantheon.

And of course, the coliseum. I loved it most of all. This time I was able to tour the inside.

At twilight.


Me inside.

This is the dome of St. Peter's Basilica from the Spanish Steps. SPB is another favourite of mine and I was so happy I was able to experience it again.


I think the biggest thing I will say is that I fell in love with Rome quite a few years ago. And I'll be honest- I was a bit worried that seeing it again would present itself in a different light. It would be like seeing the hot guy from high school that you were once in love with. And you had a great love affair and you have such great memories. And then you see him years later and he's got a pot belly and he's bald. And he's not so great afterall. I didn't want Rome to be the fat bald guy.
But it didn't disappoint. It was just as magical and wonderful as the first time- and I fell in love all over again.

No comments: