Monday, April 07, 2008

Staryucks


People who know me - know that I like my Starbucks. I'd love to be the girl that prefers the indie coffee house to the mass conglomerate American chain- but I'm not (at least not in this particular case. I do like to shop at independent clothing stores and book stores... eh... who am I kidding?! I love Chapters and buy all my clothes at the mall. There is nothing original about me.)

But I digress.

I go to the Starbucks at Jarvis and Bloor pretty much every day. And I always order the same thing. And quite often it's wrong- but I bear that with much patience as I realize my order is pretty much a bad joke. However I won't apologize for the way I order my bevvie -as it's Starbucks stupid system that I have just fully and completely bought into. Don't blame me for running with your little game Starbucks- you created this monster, not me!

I like to get a "decaf, tall, non-fat, no whip, half sweet, no foam, extra hot mocha".

Anyhow- today I got my drink and rushed back to the office for a meeting. I could tell my drink was not extra hot- as I didn't need a little sleevie thing- which indicated to me that it was not even hot hot- let alone extra hot. But I figured I could just heat it up in the microwave back at work. When I removed the plastic lid to put it into the microwave I noticed some foam- nearly two inches of foam- in my no-foam latte. This just pissed me off- because I'm then paying $4 for half a glass of whipped air. But it's too late to do anything about it- so I heat up the remainder of my beverage.

I head into my meeting, drinking the drink. As it's not hot it takes a little while to finish. Eventually though, I get near the end and take the last sip. Then... I FEEL SOMETHING IN MY MOUTH. Something that was neither milk, nor espresso, nor chocolate syrup. GROSS. It was just a small piece of - I don't know- soggy disgustingness!! so I threw it back into my cup and threw the cup out, all the while trying to keep my gag reflex in check.

I then went back to my desk and wrote a strongly worded letter to the fine people of Starbucks, complaining of this experience and explaining that I will never darken the doors of a Starbucks again. I also informed the Starbucks folks that I would be sharing this story on my blog- to be read by the millions of adoring fans who flock to my site everyday. Ok- I did say I would post it on my blog but admitted that it was a site frequented only by friends and family on rare occasion. but still. but. still.

I will look upon this as an opportunity to find a local haunt who deserves my business. Perhaps the organics place down the street. Or maybe the little hole in wall I pass on my way to work.

Of course there is a Second Cup in my building... and I know that they'll specialize my drink... and it's so much more convenient...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my god, sarah i totally know what you mean! like the last time i was in a starchucks i found cheesecurd chunks in my half whipped, mocha-chai, non-fat, extra-fat, tall, super small, de-caf, half-caf, phat-caf, extra-non-smooth, daily roast. sarah, you go girl!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.