Thursday, August 16, 2007

Heroin Chic

So I guess I live a fairly sheltered life. i mean I don't go wandering around the streets of Toronto late at night on a Tuesday or anything. But I also consider myself as a girl who has 'been there, done that'... type of person.
Howeer- today I was going to my friend's house for dinner, and I was late (for a change) and the cabbie decided to cut down some alleys in order to avoid traffic. One of these alleys (just parallel to queen street) was quite narrow, and we were driving a bit slow. and we passed quite close to a scene that was both shocking and not. Two guys, looking really worse for wear, were hunched over, crouching down against the wall of a building. The one guy leaning looked a little more together, but the guy leaning against the wall was a complete stereotype. Anyhow- they were getting ready to shoot heroin- at least I'm guessing that's what it was- as I don't know what else one shoots with a needle... anyone?
And it was about 8pm. In August- so really still quite bright out.
I guess it's good that i'm not so jaded and cynical that I can still be shocked by this. And thankful that I observed this rite through the safety of my cab window- only for a fleeting moment. That's really all i needed to see.

No comments: